What Is Sticky keys?
Sticky keys help to make the keyboard operations easier. They are one of the default accessibility feature given by Windows for people who find it difficult to hold and operate multiple keys simultaneously. Since most of the windows users are unaware about the use of sticky keys and want to know how to turn off sticky keys, we are writing up this detailed article so that it can help you with an idea about sticky keys in detail.
Use of Sticky keys
Let’s consider few things.
- If you want to save a file, you need to hold Ctrl and press ‘S’ or Alt+ ‘F’+ ‘S’.
- Shift+ a letter combination to make it bold.
- It could be even trickier, when you log in to your Windows user account. You might need to press Ctrl+ Alt+ Del button together.
- Sometimes, you might also need to use key combinations such as Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc.
It is difficult for some people, especially the old age people. Hence, we have the feature called Sticky keys that holds these functional keys until the next action is performed on them.
Unknown facts about Windows Sticky keys
- Sticky keys was first introduced to Mac OS in System 6
- Solaris 2.4 also provided sticky keys functionality in 1994
- Microsoft started introduced Sticky keys from Windows 95 OS
- Sound alert option of sticky keys is only available on Windows OS
- Most of the time, sticky keys problems are faced by gamers, when they press shift key 5 times on a hurry
Windows Sticky keys shortcuts
Even though, this was introduced to help people, many of us find it irritating and we try to disable the annoying popup every time when we see that. By default, sticky keys are on turn off mode. But, when multiple control key press event takes place at same time, then, the sticky key message comes up, asking permission to turn it on. If you select YES, then the sticky key gets turned on.
Once you turn on sticky keys, if you want to press Ctrl+Alt+Del together for a function, then, you can just press Ctrl key, then leave it, press Alt key and then press Del key. Ctrl and Alt keys will be on hold until you press Del key, even if you release the hands. Feeling that you missed out a valuable accessibility feature these many days, right? Don’t worry; you can get it any time by turning on the sticky keys shortcut. Pressing shift key 5 times and turn sticky keys ON will enable sticky keys feature on your computer. Even though, it is a useful feature, people don’t want this feature to be activated at times. This article is mainly for those who want to disable/ turn off sticky keys in Windows operating system.
How to disable sticky keys popup that annoys you every time?
At some point of time every windows user, would have realized an annoying popup that appears, when we press 2 or more functional keys together. Most of the users don’t know how to turn off sticky keys, and follows improper procedures to stop it from appearing again. Let’s see how to turn off sticky keys in a right way, so that, you will no longer get the irritating popup. The setting to turn off sticky keys pop up is available under Control panel, where you need to go for Ease of Access option or use the keyboard shortcut Windows key+U. Now, click on the link saying Make the keyboard easier to use or Change how your keyboard works.
Now, you can see multiple options like Control the mouse with the keyboard, Make it easier to Type, Make it easier to use keyboard shortcuts and Make it easier to manage Windows. In this, you need to focus on the section Make it easier to use keyboard shortcuts. From there, you need to click on Setup Sticky Keys link.
In the selected selection, look for keyboard shortcuts option and uncheck all the three check boxes. That’s it you are done with sticky keys turn off settings.
Now, even if you press Shift key 10 times, you will not get the annoying sticky key popup.
How to turn off sticky keys in Windows XP?
Turning off sticky keys in Windows XP is an easiest windows feature. You can turn off sticky keys in windows XP with just few mouse clicks. See how I disabled the sticky keys in my Windows XP computer.
- Open Control Panel > Click on Accessibility options > Click the settings button in Sticky keys portion
- Uncheck the “use shortcut” option
- Click Ok and close the window
How to turn off sticky keys in Windows Vista and Windows 7 permanently ?
To disable sticky keys prompt in Windows Vista and Windows 7, you can follow the same setting as in Windows XP, but with a little change. See how to turn off sticky keys in Windows 7 permanently.
- Open Control Panel > Click on Ease of Access Center > Then, Change how your keyboard works > Click the link Set up sticky keys
- Uncheck the box, with the label “Turn On Sticky Keys When Shift is pressed Five Times”
- Save the setting and Close the window
You can try this in your vista computer also to turn off sticky keys in windows vista.
How to turn off sticky keys in Windows 10?
The procedure for turning off sticky keys notification in windows 10 is same as like earlier versions of windows. Follow the procedure given below to turn off sticky keys in windows 10.
- Open Control Panel > Click on Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center within that > Click the link Make the keyboard easier to use > Click the link Set up sticky keys in the new window
- Remove the tick mark in “Turn On Sticky Keys When Shift is pressed Five Times” checkbox
- If you want a warning message to be displayed, if unexpected the sticky keys are turned on, check the display warning checkbox
- Apply the setting and Click Ok to close the window
How to turn off sticky keys in Windows 8/8.1 versions?
Even though, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 versions are not being attracted to big user base, people who upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 still has difficulty turning off sticky keys in Windows 8 and 8.1. We have added a video for people who still use and suffer from sticky keys problem in Windows 8 and 8.1 versions. Check this simple but useful solution on how to turn off sticky keys in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Hope this article, could have helped you with all the basics about sticky keys, it’s usage and how to turn off sticky keys in the windows computer that you use.
Put some of these points to practice and I’m sure you are going to see impressive results.
Let me know what you think about this in the comment box. Please share this post on social media if you like it.